So what is Canis major publications
. . . .and who are you people anyway?
Canis Major Publications
Founded in 1990 in Cincinnati, Ohio, home-based Canis Major Publications began
as publisher of Dog Owner's Guide, a newspaper for pet and show dog owners
in southwestern Ohio and northern Kentucky. In our first five years, DOG
won four Maxwell Awards for best canine newspaper in the US. In the mid-1990s,
we started this website and quickly grew to provide more than one million visitors
with information about choosing, raising, training, and caring for the family
dog and dogs that compete in a variety of sports. In 2003, nearly three million
visitors perused our pages.
Dog Owner's Guide website
The Dog Owner's Guide website was established in 1995 with 90 pages
of material that previously appeared in the print edition.
All 300-plus articles now on the website appeared first in the print edition
of Dog Owner's Guide, but not necessarily in their current form. Because
of the differences between one-time print publication and constant access to
the website, articles are updated regularly as new information becomes available.
We encourage the reprint of our pages for personal use, for distribution to
friends and co-workers, and as handouts for breeder puppy packets, dog-related
businesses, shelters and humane societies, dog clubs, etc. We also encourage
clubs, shelters and other groups to reprint our material in their newsletters
provided credit is given to the website. Please visit our copyright
and reprint information page for more information on how you can use our
material at no charge.
Meet our authors
Norma Bennett Woolf, editor & writer
- Held various offices at Clermont County (Ohio) Kennel Club, including president
from 1998-2001 and recording secretary 2003-04
- Member of Queen City Dog Training Club
- Former vice president of regional Akita club
- Secretary of Ohio Valley Dog Owners Inc. representing OVDO on Cincinnati
dog law task force and in hearings on bills affecting animals and animal owners
in the Ohio legislature.
- In September, 2000 awarded AKC's community achievement award specifically
for her legislative efforts. See AKC: Taking Command at http://www.akc.org/love/dip/legislat/tcsep00.cfm
- Worked with cattle, horses, dogs, and cats and taught animal behavior for
12 years and on a working educational farm;
- Taught puppy and basic obedience classes at Clermont County Dog Training
Club for six years and currently teach basic obedience classes at Queen City
Dog Training Club.
- Helped organize national purebred rescue seminars in 1995, 1996, & 1997.
- Earned three companion dog titles and legs towards a third title. Currently
owns two Canaan Dogs and is active in both conformation and obedience.
- Various jobs on community newspapers from 1989-1994, including general
assignment reporting, entertainment and business reporting, and nature writing.
- Freelance articles to newspapers and magazines from 1989-present.
- Winner of four awards for excellence in canine newspapers from the Dog Writer's
Association of America.
Vicki DeGruy, contributing writer
- President and director of rescue for the Chow Club of America
- Breeder, exhibitor, and trainer of Chows and Japanese Chins.
- Fosters rescued Chows, evaluates dogs for adoption, and works with shelters
to place adoptable dogs.
- Writes about rescue for the National Animal Interest Alliance newspaper
and presents seminar programs on various aspects of breed rescue.
- Winner of an award of excellence from the Dog Writer's Association of
- Former rescue section leader for Compuserve's Pets Forum Group.
Roslyn "Ozzie" Foreman, contributing writer
- Professional dog trainer specializing in problem-solving since 1976.
- Trainer of Newfoundlands in conformation, obedience, carting, and water
rescue with many advanced obedience and performance titles achieved with
Newfs, American Staffordshire Terriers, and a Shetland Sheepdog.
- Instrumental in designing carting program used by the Newfoundland Club
- Active member of Queen City Dog Training Club, Clermont County Kennel
Club, Ohio Valley Dog Owners Inc., South Central Newfoundland Club, and
Cumberland Ohio Valley Newfoundland Club.
- Ozzie and her husband Rick visit nursing homes and a temple program for
the homeless with their Shelties and are active in public education efforts
for responsible dog ownership.
- Freelance writer with book and magazine credits
- Regional columnist for Front and Finish, the dog trainer's newspaper
is a part of the Dog Owner's Guide website and is
copyright 2012 by Canis Major Publications. You may print or download this
material for non-commercial personal or school educational use. All other rights
reserved. If you, your organization or business would like to reprint our articles
in a newsletter or distribute them free of charge as an educational handout
please see our reprint policy.